At the upcoming meeting of the MSBA Assembly on Friday, April 22, three annual awards will be presented to members in recognition of outstanding service in different facets of the legal profession.
- The MSBA’s David Graven Public Service Award is given to members who best exemplify the high standards of the profession in combination with a commitment to public or community service. This year’s recipient is the Hon. John P. Smith, who recently retired from the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- The MSBA Legal Assistance to the Disadvantaged Committee will present the Bernard Becker Award for outstanding legal services. Becker award winners have demonstrated a commitment to providing zealous and skilled legal representation for low-income and disadvantaged clients in Minnesota. This year’s winners are:
- Law Student: Krzysztof Wysokinski, University of Minnesota Law School
- Advocate: Melissa Pfeiffer, Immigrant Law Center
- Legacy of Excellence: Mike Persellin, Mid-Minnesota Legal Assistance
- Emerging Leader: Dori Streit, Volunteer Attorney Program
- The MSBA Publications Committee will present the Elmer Wiblishauser Award, given each year to the author of the best article to appear in Bench & Bar of Minnesota during the previous year, to Steven P. Aggergaard (Bassford Remele). Aggergaard’s “When Public Space Isn’t Public” appeared in the May/June 2015 edition of the magazine.